A History and Methodology of Islamic Law
Ustadh Farid Dingle
As an introduction to the historical development of Islamic Law and its methodology, this course is a must for all who wish to study Islam on anything other than the most superficial level.
- Understand where Islamic Law is today, and how it got there
- Understand the stages of its development
- Understand where the Four Madhhabs came from and what they are
- Understand how Islamic Law works
- Know what the key sources of Islamic Law are
- Appreciate how nuanced Islamic Law is, and how differences within one tradition can exist
- What is the pure Prophetic Islamic Law?
- Legal Deduction in the Prophetic era
- Legal Deduction in the era of the righteously guided caliphs
- What was there before the madhhabs?
- Fiqh of Era of Early Muslims (Proto-madhhabs)
- What did the Imams of the madhhabs bring new?
- The Birth of the Madhhabs
- Was ijtihad buried forever?
- The development of the legal schools
- How does a madhhab work today? What is the point of a madhhab?
- Answering common questions
- What should we base the law on?
- The Knowledge of Good and Bad: the discussion of the Mind and Morality
- Does the Qur’an and hadith tell us what Allah wants us today?
- The Qur’an and sunna as indicators of divine law
- Why can’t we just throw out the old and bring something new?
- Scholarly consensus
- How can old religious texts be relative today?
- How can I interact with the primary sources?
- Is there are religious hierarchy?
- Ijtihad and taqlid
- What other sources are there of law?