The Book Club: Life Coaching Through the Islamic Lense
Ustadh Hatim Yousef
الَّذِينَ يَسْتَمِعُونَ الْقَوْلَ فَيَتَّبِعُونَ أَحْسَنَهُ ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ هَدَاهُمُ اللَّهُ ۖ وَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمْ أُولُو الْأَلْبَابِ – 39:18
(Those) who listen to speech and follow the best of it. Those are the ones Allah has guided, and those are people of understanding.
It is often that we read books in the self-help genre and wonder: What is the Islamic view on this topic? Is the author’s proposition acceptable according to the shari’ah? Did the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) have something similar to this idea in his life? Is there an ayah of the Quran or a Hadith that precedes this concept? Is the concept already something that Islam supports/rejects? How do I apply this self-improvement idea in my life as a Muslim? How can I use this idea to improve my relationship with Allah?
Join Ustadh Hatim Yousef as he covers some of the most popular titles in the field of self-help and “life coaching”. Discover how these ideas fit into the Islamic worldview. See what scholars have to say about these ideas and how to best apply them to your lives as Muslims. Ask Ustadh Hatim, a certified scholar and life-coaching enthusiast, all the questions that you have about how to improve your relationship with your Creator, your family and friends, and how to advance your professional life using the ideas proposed in these well-known books.
- Cover 22 different titles of some of the best books written on self help topics
- Discuss some of the important points mentioned in these books
- Look at these titles through an Islamic perspective
- Understand how to apply them in a practical manner in your lives as Muslims
- Ask all of your questions to a Certified Scholar and Life-Coaching Enthusiast
Here is a list of titles Ustadh Hatim Yousef will be covering during the course:
- The Willpower Instinct
- Deep Work
- How to Fail at Almost Everything
- The Power of Habit
- The Procrastination Equation
- Solving the Procrastination Puzzle
- The Slight Edge
- The Little Book of Talent
- The Talent Code
- Mini Habits
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You
- David and Goliath
- $100 Start Up
- The One Thing
- The First 20 Hours
- The 5 Second Rule
- Eat That Frog
- The Success Principles
- Managing Time
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
The course runs for 10 weeks each term.
There will be live classes each week where students can interact with their teacher, and ask any questions they may have.