The History of the Shari’ah: Details and Chronology of Islamic Law
Ustadh Farid Dingle
As an introduction to the historical development of Islamic Law, this course is a must for all who wish to study Islam on anything other than the most superficial level.
- Understand where Islamic Law is today, and how it got there
- Understand the stages of its development
- Understand where the Four Madhhabs came from and what they are
- Appreciate how nuanced Islamic Law is, and how differences within one tradition can exist
- What is the pure Prophetic Islamic Law?
- Legal Deduction in the Prophetic era
- Legal Deduction in the era of the righteously guided caliphs
- What was there before the madhhabs?
- Fiqh of Era of Early Muslims (Proto-madhhabs)
- What did the Imams of the madhhabs bring new?
- The Birth of the Madhhabs
- Was ijtihad buried forever?
- The development of the legal schools
- How does a madhhab work today? What is the point of a madhhab?
- Answering common questions